Karen McCabe – Music Tuition
I specialise in relaxed Music lessons in Windsor offering tuition in piano, composition/songwriting, aural skills and group singing. My philosophy is that music is for enjoyment, healing and nurturing creativity. Everybody is entitled to enjoy music-making, not just the ‘talented’. It is very therapeutic to immerse yourself in musical practice. I myself am a keen singer-pianist and songwriter.
I completed GCSE and A Level Music, then went on to study Music at Cardiff University and graduated with a BMus (Hons) Degree in 2000. In 2002 I completed a PGCE in secondary Music teaching and qualified as a school Music teacher, becoming Head of Department and working at this level for many years.
I have been running my own private Music school teaching singing, music appreciation, composition, aural skills and more recently, piano, for 6 years. Currently I teach a large and diverse group of around 45 students, ranging from age 9 to 80.
Before this I had fourteen years’ experience teaching Music in secondary schools up to A Level standard and was Head of Music at Newlands Girls’ School in Maidenhead and at Drayton Manor High School in Hanwell. Throughout that time I have directed choirs and chamber groups for concerts and prepared solo singers and instrumentalists for productions and concerts. I also coached students through their A Level coursework recitals.
After leaving secondary school teaching I worked as curriculum Music Co-ordinator, piano teacher and singing teacher at a Preparatory School in Crowthorne.
I have become a keen singer-songwriter in recent years (you can hear my work here).
I run interactive singing sessions at local care homes and therapy centres, where participating in singing has proven to be incredibly healing for those suffering with such conditions as dementia, parkinsons, MS and more.
- Piano lessons – Beginner to intermediate level and/or just for fun. To relax and unwind or to do early grade exams up to Grade 5. Adults and children welcome. Online lessons available.
- Songwriting and composition Beginner to intermediate level. Online lessons available.
- Singing for the Soul! A weekly online group vocal workout and stress-busting singalong for adults every Friday at 5pm.
- Aural and/or sight singing tuition – Beginner to Advanced. Most practical exams have an aural skills section. I help people of all grades and all different instruments with this aspect of the exam. Online lessons available.
- Support with GCSE Music. I am very happy to assist with the performing, composing and listening aspects of GCSE Music. Online lessons available.