Karen McCabe Music
BMus (Hons), PGCE Music with QTS, ABRSM Grade 8 singing (Dist).
Windsor and Maidenhead
My philosophy is that music is for healing, enjoyment and nurturing creativity. Everybody is entitled to enjoy music-making, not just the ‘talented’.
I studied Music at Cardiff University and graduated with a BMus (Hons) Degree in 2000. After that I completed a PGCE in secondary school Music teaching and qualified as a school Music teacher, becoming Head of Department and working in this capacity for ten years. In 2014 after teaching, directing, being an active performer (singer and piano player) in local bands and leading interactive singing sessions at care and therapy centres, I decided to branch out alone to start a little private Music school. I predominantly offer relaxed singing lessons (‘Singing for the Soul’) and piano lessons for beginners but I do provide other services – please refer to the list at the bottom of this page.
I have been teaching singing, music appreciation and aural skills for 5 years now and I have just added piano lessons to my teaching repertoire (though I have been playing piano for many years). I currently have a large and diverse group of around 40 students on my books, ranging from age 9 to 80.
I have fourteen years’ experience teaching Music in secondary schools up to A Level standard. I was Head of Music at Newlands Girls’ School in Maidenhead and at Drayton Manor High School in Hanwell. Throughout that time I have directed choirs and chamber groups for concerts, prepared solo singers for productions and concerts and helped singers through their A Level coursework recitals. After leaving secondary school teaching I worked as curriculum Music Co-ordinator, piano teacher and singing teacher at a Preparatory School in Crowthorne. I have been running interactive singing sessions at local care homes and therapy centres, where participating in singing has proven to be incredibly healing for those suffering with such conditions as dementia, parkinsons, MS and more. I have therefore worked with students of all ages and situations, and welcome children (from age 9) and adults to my music lessons.
- Relaxed Singing Lessons (Singing for the Soul). Relaxed is how you will feel! My lessons are very therapeutic – singing for wellbeing, fun, confidence and stress-relief. We work with your voice as it is, learning basic techniques to help protect it and get the most out of it. Tuition for ABRSM exams (up to Grade 5) available if desired, but there is no pressure to do exams. Musical styles to suit you.
- Piano lessons – beginner to intermediate level. As relaxed or as formal as you like, both adults and children welcome.
- Aural and/or sight singing tuition – most practical exams have an aural skills section. I help people of all grades and all different instruments with this aspect of the exam.
- Music Appreciation classes – relaxed, informal classes in Windsor every Thursday morning 10am – 11am (arrive from 9.30am to grab a cuppa) for those who love to listen to music and wish to explore this further or those who wish to enhance their understanding of the expressive qualities of music to complement learning to play an instrument or sing. ***Next course of 6 sessions commences Thursday 12th September 2019. To book a place or for further details use the contact form on this website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07976 478426***
- Perfect Harmony – Music Teacher Support – A one to one mentoring service and new downloadable PDF course for aspiring private Music teachers who are looking for some guidance and support in the setting up and running of their tuition business.
- Support with GCSE Music. I am very happy to assist with the performing, composing and listening aspects of GCSE Music. Perhaps your child needs a duet partner for their ensemble performance?