Karen McCabe Music
BMus (hons), PGCE Music, ABRSM Grade 8 singing (Dist).
My philosophy is that music is for healing and enjoyment, for both the performer and the listener.
I studied Music at Cardiff University and graduated with a BMus (Hons) Degree in 2000. After that I completed a PGCE in secondary school Music teaching and qualified as a school Music teacher, becoming Head of Department and working in this capacity for ten years. In 2014 after teaching, directing, being an active performer (singer and piano player) in local bands and leading interactive singing sessions at care and therapy centres, I decided to branch out alone to start a little private Music school. I predominantly offer relaxed singing lessons (‘Singing for the Soul’) but I do provide other services – please refer to the list at the bottom of this page.
I have been teaching singing, music appreciation and aural skills for 5 years now. I currently have a large and diverse group of around 40 students on my books, of a large age range. My philosophy is that music is for healing and enjoyment. I have fourteen years’ experience teaching Music in secondary schools up to A Level standard. I was Head of Music for seven years at Newlands Girls’ School in Maidenhead and for three years at Drayton Manor High School in Hanwell. Throughout that time I have directed choirs and chamber groups for concerts, prepared solo singers for productions and concerts, and helped singers through their A Level coursework recitals. After leaving secondary school teaching I worked as Music Co-ordinator at a Preparatory School in Crowthorne. I have been running interactive singing sessions at local care homes and therapy centres, where participating in singing has proven to be incredibly healing for those suffering with such conditions as dementia, parkinsons, MS and more. I have therefore worked with students of all ages, and welcome children (from age 9) and adults to my music lessons.
- Relaxed Singing Lessons (Singing for the Soul). Relaxed is how you will feel! My lessons are very therapeutic – singing for wellbeing, fun, confidence and stress-relief. We work with your voice as it is, learning basic techniques to help protect it and get the most out of it. Tuition for ABRSM exams (up to Grade 5) available if desired, but there is no pressure to do exams. Musical styles to suit you.
- Aural and/or sight singing tuition – most practical exams have an aural skills section. I help people of all grades and all different instruments with this aspect.
- Support with GCSE Music. I am very happy to assist with the performing, composing and listening aspects of GCSE Music. Perhaps your child needs a duet partner for their ensemble performance?
- Music appreciation classes – relaxed, informal classes for those who love to listen to music and wish to explore this further or those who wish to enhance their understanding of the expressive qualities of music to complement learning to play an instrument or sing. ***Next course begins Thursday 18th July…for further details get in touch***
- Perfect Harmony – Music Teacher Support – A one to one mentoring service and new downloadable PDF course for aspiring private Music teachers who are looking for some guidance and support in the setting up and running of their tuition business. Click here for more information.