Singing and piano lessons in Windsor
I specialise in relaxed singing lessons and piano lessons in Windsor. My philosophy is that music is for healing, enjoyment and nurturing creativity. Everybody is entitled to enjoy music-making, not just the ‘talented’. There is nothing quite so therapeutic as immersing yourself in musical practice. This could be singing, playing an instrument or listening to a piece of music that you love.
I studied Music at Cardiff University and graduated with a BMus (Hons) Degree in 2000. After completing a PGCE in secondary school Music teaching I qualified as a school Music teacher, becoming Head of Department and working at this level for many years. In 2014 after teaching, directing, being an active performer (singer and piano player) in local bands and leading interactive singing sessions at care and therapy centres, I decided to branch out alone to start a little private Music school.
With a view to providing music lessons for enjoyment and therapeutic benefit rather than stressful, strict musical training, I predominantly offer relaxed singing lessons (‘Singing for the Soul’) and piano lessons but do provide other services – please refer to the list at the bottom of this page.
I have been teaching singing, music appreciation and aural skills privately for 6 years and due to popular demand I have now added piano lessons to my teaching repertoire (having played piano for many years). Currently I teach a large and diverse group of around 40 students, ranging from age 8 to 80.
Before this I had fourteen years’ experience teaching Music in secondary schools up to A Level standard and was Head of Music at Newlands Girls’ School in Maidenhead and at Drayton Minor High School in Hanwell. Throughout that time I have directed choirs and chamber groups for concerts and prepared solo singers for productions and concerts. I also coached students through their A Level coursework recitals.
After leaving secondary school teaching I worked as curriculum Music Co-ordinator, piano teacher and singing teacher at a Preparatory School in Crowthorne. I have also been running interactive singing sessions at local care homes and therapy centres, where participating in singing has proven to be incredibly healing for those suffering with such conditions as dementia, parkinsons, MS and more. I have therefore worked with students of all ages and situations, and welcome children (from age 8) and adults to my singing and piano lessons.
- Relaxed Singing Lessons (Singing for the Soul). Relaxed is how you will feel! My lessons are very therapeutic – singing for wellbeing, fun, confidence and stress-relief. We work with your voice as it is, learning basic techniques to help protect it and get the most out of it. Furthermore Tuition for ABRSM exams (up to Grade 5) is available if desired, but there is no pressure to do exams. Musical styles to suit you.
- Piano lessons – beginner to intermediate level. To relax and unwind or to do early grade exams. Adults and children welcome.
- Aural and/or sight singing tuition – most practical exams have an aural skills section. I help people of all grades and all different instruments with this aspect of the exam.
- Music Appreciation classes – relaxed, informal classes in Windsor every Thursday morning 10am – 11am (arrive from 9.30am to grab a cuppa). This is for those who love to listen to music and wish to explore this further and also for those who wish to enhance their understanding of the expressive qualities of music to complement learning to play an instrument or sing.
- Next course of 6 sessions commences Thursday 7th November 2019. To book a place or to receive further information use the contact form on this website, email email@example.com or call 07976 478426
- Perfect Harmony – Music Teacher Support – A one to one mentoring service and new downloadable e-book course for private Music teachers who are looking for some guidance and support in the setting up and running of their tuition business, whilst maintaining their own personal wellbeing.
- Support with GCSE Music. I am very happy to assist with the performing, composing and listening aspects of GCSE Music. Perhaps your child needs a duet partner for their ensemble performance?